HAVE YOU DONE YOUR POSTURE EXERCISES?
DO YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO?
DO YOU THINK YOUR POSTURE NEEDS HELP?
DO YOU THINK POSTURE AFFECTS YOUR OVERALL HEALTH?
Good posture and a strong core is an important part of anti-aging or aging well. Twenty something’s fear looking old, over fifty’s want to feel good and stay active and if you ask someone over eighty about their fears of aging the #1 response is “not being able to get around and take care of myself.” Your body learns what you teach it and slumping has become the 21st century posture.
Proper posture and focus on balance, alignment and proper motion. A prime example of when bones aren’t balanced, aligned or able to move correctly is arthritis. Posture exercises and balance training keep your body in motion and moving in the proper way, firing muscles in the right order and decreasing the stress on the joints.
Here are some stats from the Arthritis Foundation:
- Arthritis is one of the most prevalent chronic health problems and the nation’s leading cause of disability among Americans over age 15.
- Arthritis is second only to heart disease as a cause of work disability.
- Arthritis limits everyday activities such as walking, dressing and bathing for more than 7 million Americans.
- Arthritis results in 39 million physician visits and more than a half million hospitalizations.
- Costs to the U.S. economy totals $128 billion annually.
By focusing on posture, balance and restoring proper motion to the body, the body will be under less biomechanical stress and therefore should last longer before wearing out. Our bodies are designed to move in certain patterns. If injury or chronically poor posture place undue stress on the body, then the body can’t move as it should, setting the stage for future injury and premature aging.
It has been so exciting to incorporate this training in my office and see how it can affect such a large range of patients and conditions.
This is just the surface of how posture can affect us. There are also correlations to fatigue, muscle aches and pains, stiff joints, balance, coordination, and even breathing difficulties. Proper posture can improve performance from the weekend warrior athlete to the professional athlete and grandma and grandpa.
Call and ask how we can help!! This is the best anti-aging advice I can give. The best medicine is to KEEP MOVING!