Archive for December, 2011
Why do people get sick in the winter?
People are exposed to each other more in the winter because they stay inside more, leading to the spread of germs. School is in session again and kids are most likely to spread germs. There is also evidence not that viruses spread more easily through dry air. When it is cold outside the air is drier, both outdoors and inside (where people have their heaters on) which may make it easier for germs to pass from one person to another.
- Take an immune system booster as a preventative step. We sell one here in the office called Coryza Forte!
- Wash your hands or use an alcohol based gels.
- Use a humidifier to prevent cracks in the dries out lining of the nostrils that can let germs in.
- Fill the humidifier with distilled water so it doesn’t harbor bacteria.
- Keep in mind too much humidity can make you more susceptible to viruses.
- Get enough sleep and keep hydrated to keep your immune system boosted.
Our joints feel achy because…
- In the cold, our muscles and bllod vessels contract to conserve body temperature and that means less blood supply to our arms and legs.
- Typically, barometric pressure is lower in the winter amd that change in pressure ccan cause aches and pains. Since are is a gas, it expands when heated and contracts when cooled – similar to tire pressures, but the effect is between the bones.
- Both the weather and holiday schedules can sabotage our exercise routines so we move around less and the less we move the less lubrication our joints get.
- Humidity decreases in the cold season and humidity helps lubricate our joints.
- Have us help you keep your joints and muscles moving. Call the office at (314) 439-5548 for Chiropractic Care, Massage Therapy and/or Acupuncture.
- Stay warm. Hats, scarves and gloves don’t just look cool, they keep your joints warm too.
- Exercise and don’t forget to stretch. Keep your heart rate up and the blood pumping.
- Get good sleep!!
Posted in: Blog by chirocare on December 6, 2011
Please help us to help others this Holiday Season.
We are having a TOY DRIVE for The “Friends of Kids with Cancer”.
You can help a kid with cancer be a kid!
“Friends of Kids with Cancer” has a Toy Closet. On days they have treatment, the kids get rewarded for their courage by getting to pick a brand new toy.
Please bring in a new unwrapped toy, for a boy or girl, to donate by Friday December 23rd. When you donate a toy your name will be added to the raffel.
*Please no stuffed animals (they can collect mold and allergens that may be harmful to those with weakened immune systems)
The raffel prizes are a massage or an acupuncture treatment with some other goodies: a t-shirt, water bottle and towel with logo.