Archive for April, 2012
Posted in: Blog by chirocare on April 17, 2012
Have you been thinking about breaking out the running shoes? As we look out the windows here we’re seeing more and more runners. Running doesn’t require much – but does require some prep.
Here are some top-tips for beginning a running program:
- Consider the age of your shoes; Running in worn-out shoes can contribute to excessive wear and tear to your muscles and joints.
- Consider the style of your shoes. No, not Manolo Blahniks, or diamond studded Nike runners ツ but instead making sure they’re the right shoes for your feet, activity level, weight and body type. The wrong style can cause stress on your joints and muscles.
- If you are unsure about your shoes, just bring ‘em in and we’ll look them over.
- Set realistic goals…and increase your time, distance and/or speed over the course of several weeks or months.
- Follow a training program. There are gobs of free programs online. If you’d like to set up a more personalized program, we can help.
- Include adequate rest…allow your body to recover and rebuild.
- Keeping yourself appropriately hydrated before, during and after exercise will keep you feeling well overall. And the more you sweat during exercise, the more fluids you need to replace.
- Signs that you need to make some “adjustments” to your hydration are:
- cramps in your legs during activity
- The average person should be drinking at least 64 ounces of water each day whether running or not!
- If you plan to run outdoors, especially at night, wear bright colors or reflective gear.
- Know your route. Let someone you trust know where you are going and when you expect to be back.
- Running with a partner is generally safer—it can also help you stay committed to your training schedule!
- Dr. Gina, her husband Paul and their daughter Mia welcomed two new additions to the family this month! Gianna Mary Reid was born on Wednesday April 4th at 8:31pm. 5 pounds and 2 ounces and 19.5 inches long. Callie June Reid was born on Tuesday April 5th at 1:34am. 6 pounds and 3 ounces and 20 inches long.
- Prices for Massage and Acupuncture will change on May 1st. Please click here for details.
- Dr. Spath is now a provider for all insurance plans except for Cigna.
- Dr. Spath has joined marketing committee and race village set up committee for “Girls On the Run Spring 5K race”. The race is on May 12th, Downtown at 8:30am. They are looking for individual runners and teams, groups to provide cheer stations on the race course, and volunteers to help with race village setup and tear-down. This is the 10th anniversary of “Girls On The Run STL”. In celebration, the race has moved from Forest Park to Downtown to accommodate the popularity and growth of this race. Here the link to the site: which has all of the details.
On May 1st all prices for Massage Therapy will increase.
30 minutes – $35
60 minutes – $70
90 minutes – $95
Package of 3 hours – $192
Package of 5 hours – $305
Package of 7 hours – $399
Package of 10 hours – $550
Monthly Memberships are $45 for one-hour each month or $540 for the year.